Last year, Francis Ngannou, the reigning UFC heavyweight champion, left the division on a high note, still holding his world title with one successful defense.
Despite receiving a lucrative offer, Ngannou chose to pursue better deals and has now secured a monumental crossover fight against boxing’s top-ranked fighter, Fury, scheduled to take place in Saudi Arabia this October.
While it is anticipated that Fury will earn significantly more than his opponent, Francis will probably be quite pleased with his new purse. Especially considering that he only received a disclosed payout of $600,000 for his previous title defense at the sold-out Honda Center, California.
How much Francis Ngannou to be paid to fight Tyson Fury?
Ngannou’s massive risktaking seems to have yielded substantial rewards, with the potential for him to earn over $8 million (£6 million) from his highly anticipated bout against Tyson.
His manager, Marquel Martin, has even mentioned that Ngannou would have had to participate in numerous fights to accumulate the amount he is expected to be earning for this single bout against Fury.
Francis Ngannou is set to make over $8 million when he takes on Tyson Fury in October 💰
— IFL TV (@IFLTV) July 13, 2023
“This is life-changing,” Martin told The MMA Hour last night. “This is exactly what we planned and visualized so we’re happy.” When asked if the purse is more than his entire UFC career to date, he responded that it was “by far, by multiples.”
“He would have had to fight, even by being champion, multiple times just to be in this ballpark.”
In the past, Ngannou has asserted that his departure from the UFC was not driven by financial motives. But rather due to concerns regarding the promotion’s culture and the perceived inequalities that fighters encounter during their careers.
As he prepares to make his debut for the Professional Fighters League (PFL), one of the biggest organizations in MMA. Francis is once again set to enter the cage under a groundbreaking agreement.
Francis Ngannou vs Tyson Fury to not be WBC title but go on official record
Tyson and Francis are set to face off in a non-title bout on October 28th in Saudi Arabia, with the fight’s outcome said to be recorded on their official records.
WBC officials have confirmed that although the matchup will be conducted as a professional bout, Fury’s title will not be on the line. The fight will adhere to standard boxing rules.
Officials: Tyson Fury vs. Francis Ngannou won’t be for WBC title, but fight will go on official records
— MMA Fighting (@MMAFighting) July 13, 2023
This fight marks Ngannou’s first official boxing match, and it was recently confirmed as the most significant opportunity of his career after his tenure as a former UFC heavyweight champion. Further information, such as the number of rounds and the glove size for Fury and Ngannou on the fight night, is still yet to be disclosed.
Do you think ‘The Predator’ stands a chance against the ‘Gypsy King’? Share your thoughts with us below!