Barcelona president Joan Laporta has addressed rumors of Manchester City’s Bernardo Silva joining the club next summer.
After winning La Liga, Barcelona has big plans to strengthen their squad this summer. Among one of their transfer targets is Manchester City midfielder Bernardo Silva.
The Portugal international, who appears ready to depart the Etihad this summer, had negotiations with the La Liga winners last year, but they fell through. The 28-year-old is under contract with City until 2025, having signed an extension in 2019. He is also heavily being looked at by Paris Saint Germain.
The Portuguese magician has 51 appearances this season, with only four games missed. He has five goals and seven assists to back up his performances on the pitch.
Manager Xavi Hernandez has previously already told the board that he wants Bernardo Silva as a priority. He intends to bolster the team’s creative options with an experienced player.
Barcelona president Joan Laporta was asked about his plan for the summer. He was then asked about Bernardo Silva. According to Fabrizio Romano, the president said, “Bernardo Silva? We will see how La Liga will react to our viability plan. He’s a top, top player but he’s a Man City player. Nothing to say.”
Barcelona president Laporta: “Bernardo Silva? We will see how La Liga will react to our viability plan. In 2015, Bernardo to Barça was almost a done deal… I was in Portugal with his agent!”. 🔵🔴 #FCB— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) May 15, 2023
“He’s a top, top player but he’s Man City player. Nothing to say”. pic.twitter.com/uGKRQu4RSY
Did Bernardo Silva almost join Barcelona in 2015?
He also admitted that he had an agreement with Bernardo sealed with the player moving to Barcelona in 2015. However, he ended up joining Manchester City.
Given Barcelona’s financial position, President Laporta was clear in January that the Catalan club would not spend €80 million for Silva, although ties with the Catalan club remain frequent. In an interview with Diario AS, the 60-year-old said that he agreed to sign the midfielder in 2015 when he was still playing for AS Monaco.
But he had lost the presidential election to Josep Maria Bartomeu who had different plans.
The president said, “I know him (Bernardo) personally. In 2015 I had an agreement for him to sign. But then I did not win the election.”
According to Marca, Bernardo Silva’s City teammate Ilkay Gundogan is interested in a move away from the Etihad. Gundogan may be a more enticing choice for Barcelona than Silva, and would also be cheaper.
As his contract comes to an end, the club captain is in top form. Barcelona is seeking low-cost transfers this summer to manage their large debt within La Liga’s financial constraints.
It remains to be seen whether any deal for Bernardo Silva is possible this summer.