Jalen Carter, a defensive tackle for the Las Vegas Raiders, was seemingly taken off the team’s draft board due to alleged legal issues, yet head coach Josh McDaniels denied this information.
On a defensive line that included three 2022 first-round picks, including the first pick overall, Carter was the best player. the DT has been hailed as the best defensive player on Georgia’s historic 2021 defense and a top-three player.
What charges were leveled against Jalen Carter?
A crash occurred on January 14, shortly after the Bulldogs’ victory parade for the national championship. The 21-year-old was not the car’s driver that was found in a crash, the Athens-Clarke County Police Department reported. Recruiting assistant Chandler LeCroy, 24, competed in a race with Carter’s 2021 Jeep Trackhawk against LeCroy’s 2021 Ford Expedition.
Willock and LeCroy died when the cars smashed through two utility poles, hit a tree, and an SUV before coming to rest next to an apartment building in Athens, Georgia. Warren McClendon, a 21-year-old offensive tackle, and Victoria Bowles, a 26-year-old running back, both of the football program, suffered injuries.
After attending the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis on March 1, Jalen was charged with two misdemeanor counts of racing and reckless driving to the crash that claimed the lives of LeCroy and Willock. Carter’s involvement in the collision had not previously been made public.
Carter’s sentence includes a year of probation, a $1,000 fine, 80 hours of community service, and completion of a state-approved driving course, according to lawyer Kim Stephens.
What was the Raiders coach’s statement regarding Carter?
Since the charges were made public earlier this month, JC’s draft standing has, as expected, been sustained. Vic Tafu’s report for the Athletic on Thursday revealed what the Raiders were thinking about Carter.
The report claims that the Las Vegas Raiders, who will select seventh overall, have crossed Carter off their list. However, the Raiders head coach refuted the report and gave Vincent Bonsignore of the Las Vegas Review-Journal a different statement.
Just spoke to Josh McDaniels & he reiterated what he told reporters about Jalen Carter on Monday. Contrary to a recent report, the @Raiders are doing their due diligence on Carter, who remains on their draft board. Carter will meet with Raiders as one of their 30 visits in April
— Vincent Bonsignore (@VinnyBonsignore) March 31, 2023
“Just spoke to Josh McDaniels and he reiterated what he told reporters about Jalen Carter on Monday. Contrary to a recent report, the @Raiders are doing their due diligence on Carter, who remains on their draft board. Carter will meet with Raiders as one of their 30 visits in April,” Vincent tweeted.
This news has caused quite a stir in the football world, as the defensive tackle was widely considered to be a promising prospect. The circumstance, however, might change as time goes on. Keep visiting us for the most recent news.