UFC refereeing gets called out after Marina Rodriguez leaves Michelle Waterson-Gomez in bloody mess at UFC Vegas 79

Michelle Waterson-Gomez was dominated by Marina Rodriguez at UFC Vegas 79, with Rodriguez delivering the performance of her career and securing a second-round TKO victory.

It appeared that the referee was considering stopping the fight, but Waterson-Gomez continued to fight enduring a significant amount of pain. After the fight, there are questions being raised about the UFC’s officiating, as Waterson-Gomez was left in a pool of blood by Rodriguez.

Fans question refereeing decision after pulverizing of Michelle Waterson-Gomez

The MMA community is outraged at the officiating in the Rodriguez vs. Waterson-Gomez fight. Rodriguez inflicted most of the damage in Round 1, using elbows and knees that left Waterson-Gomez’s face covered in blood by the end of the first five minutes.

Fighters and fans watching the fight live had positive comments for both strawweights, praising Rodriguez for her aggression and Waterson-Gomez for her resilience. However, many MMA enthusiasts still believe that the refereeing during the match was subpar and argue that the fight should have been stopped by the referee in the first round.

One fan said that the referee should have stopped the fight in the first round itself. Whereas UFC welter weight contender Belal Muhammad argued that the corner should’ve stopped the fight.

However many of the MMA fans also praised Michelle Waterson-Gomez for still continuing the fight after the first round and taking so much beating.

Following the fight, Michelle Gomez was sent to the hospital for checkups and to get her faced fixed along with Rafael Fiziev who suffered a leg injury in his bout against Mateusz Gamrot.

Rashad Evans seen consoling Michelle

Light heavyweight contender Rashad Evans, who currently competes in Eagle Fighting Championship, was consoling his friend Michelle Waterson-Gomez after her devastating loss and beating to Rodriguez. Rashad and Gomez have been friends for over 15 years, ever since Gomez was just one fight into her pro MMA career and moved to Albuquerque to train at Jackson Wink Academy.

Gomez met Georges St-Pierre and Evans there and said that Evans and St-Pierre opened her eyes and made her believe that she could accomplish anything she desires. Michelle’s journey to the UFC is nothing short of inspirational, as she didn’t achieve overnight success but worked for 10 years while managing her household. What do you think about Gomez’s incredible journey to the UFC? Share your thoughts with us in the comment section.


Leave a Comment