After setting his sights on Devin Haney’s 135-pound championship belt, Shakur Stevenson, the former two-division world champion expressed his interest in facing Devin Haney. However, the situation has changed as Shakur has now declined the fight proposal from Haney’s side.
The reason behind Stevenson’s decision is that he is not willing to accept the purse that has been offered to him, indicating a disagreement over the financial terms of the bout.
Shakur Stevenson rejects Devin Haney’s 75/25 split fight offer
Initially, the former world champion in the featherweight and super featherweight divisions openly challenged ‘Dream’, expressing his belief that Haney would not be able to defeat him.
However, Shakur has now decided to back out of the proposed fight due to the financial terms not being suitable or agreeable for him.
“I don’t think I’m the A side I just know my worth and 25 percent ain’t it. I didn’t turn the fight down either that’s was supposedly be the first offer haven’t heard nun else since.” Shakur tweeted.
‼️ Shakur Stevenson has stated that Devin Haney's offered him a 75/25 split to fight next, but he's rejected it: “I don’t think I'm the A-side, I just know my worth and 25% ain’t it. I didn’t turn the fight down, that was supposedly the first offer, haven’t heard nothing since.” pic.twitter.com/uwxGaUHizw
— Michael Benson (@MichaelBensonn) July 3, 2023
Earlier in a highly anticipated lightweight boxing match between Haney and Vasiliy Lomachenko at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, Haney emerged as the winner with a unanimous decision victory. The judges’ scores were 116-112, 115-113, and 115-113 in favor of Haney.
Stevenson, when sharing his thoughts on the fight, expressed his belief that Lomachenko should have been declared the winner instead of Haney. Shakur elaborated on the reasons behind his opinion, explaining why he thought Loma performed better and deserved the victory.
“He landed the cleaner punches, he landed the cleaner shots on Dev. He pushed the pace. Let’s make it happen. I think that should happen next. I think Devin’s not on my level and I’ma show it.” Shakur added.
Shakur Stevenson says Devin Haney offered him a 75/25 split for next fight but he declined because he says he’s worth more than 25% 👀 pic.twitter.com/6pCnetMEwj
— My Mixtapez (@mymixtapez) July 3, 2023
Boxing community backs Shakur Stevenson’s decision on Devin Haney’s offer
Not just Shakur himself rather many prominent figures and the boxing community in general are supporting Stevenson in this matter.
Nah I’m not gone take 25% but u knew that already Lil bruh be realistic 😴
— Shakur Stevenson (@ShakurStevenson) July 1, 2023
Abe Morales talked about the difficulty of a boxing bout negotiation by saying, “Shakur being real about the whole situation. Refreshing lol. Boxing negotiations have to be the worst.”
Another user also praised Shakur for making such a bold decision as he said, “60/40 should be the split, Shakur was a 2 weight world champion.”
“25% is wild. Ain’t no way Devin worth that 75% lol. I agree with a lot of the folks on here saying at most 60%-40%.” Robert Ray said.
Haney lost his last fight. Loma won. 99% of people saw that. He won his first championship via email notification… @ShakurStevenson is a superstar, 2 division champ, Olympic silver winner, while Haney fighting in TJ… saying 25% means he does not want that 💨 he’s scared
— Numbers (@Seckbach) July 3, 2023
Do you think Devin Haney will eventually cut a deal with Shakur Stevenson? Share your thoughts with us in the comment section.